Friday 8 September 2017

Lead Like a Pirate - Enthusiasm

"Pirate leaders know that they have to bring energy and excitement to each day, no matter what” (LeadLAP pg 69)
How do you ‘fake it until you make it? What strategies do you use that enable you to make a positive choice about your own attitude?
This was a great chapter to read last week as we had a lot of sickness going around the school and everyone including myself was feeling rather flat.  As I read this chapter I realised that this was really the week that I needed to fake it till I made it, (to the weekend). 
I decided I need to get out there and spend some time in the classroom to re-energise and get back to being with the children.  When I am flat it is the office work that can keep me down, being with the children and watching them learn and be enthusiastic about what they are doing gives me the boost I need.  I find walking around the school and surrounding myself with positive people refocuses me and then this allows me to put that positive face on myself.

I also look around me and think about how blessed I am to have what I have and that always helps me to 'make it till I fake it.'

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to get grounded to find that spark...as an AP I teach in a Y1 classroom because that's what I love and why I became teacher. Yes I can make a difference by using the systems and managerial tools I have access to within the MOE, but I can see a difference when my little people engage with each other or celebrate a learning journey achievement with a "you've got it" conversation or just simply want to learn more about the snot germs we talked about yesterday!! I know I am truly blessed and fortunate...but try and get back to those grass roots more often than the paperwork allows. I'd rather have my squirrels at a rave (aspirations of ducks in a row) than a mountain of paperwork to climb...and most days combining the two teaches me more than I do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its great that choosing to spend time with the students -the reason for the schools existence is where you find your reason - your enthusiasm. I love the quote "So much in life depends on our attitude, the way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference". Thomas S. Monson.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about